Monday 8 September 2014

My Visit toThiruvananthapuram & Kanyakumari


My Visit toThiruvananthapuram & Kanyakumari

I reached to Centre For Development Studies, Prasanth Nagar, Ulloor, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala  on 29th January 2010 at 10.45 pm from Thiruvananthpuram Air Port. The Director, CDS had sent a Taxi to pick up me. The Taxi Driver was unable to speak Hindi or English so, as per my habit I could not talk and inquire about the names of the important places in the route from Air Port to CDS.  This technical problem of lack of communication created an interesting incident when I asked him in Hindi as well as in English the name of one circle which takes a turn towards Prashant Nagar he could not follow and thought I was asking him to take an about turn towards Air Port and he started to take a turn. I shouted ‘where are you going?’ and the same very moment I realized , it was due to language problem and so I given direction to move back towards Prashant Nagar and I did not talk him till I reached CDS.

Next Day The Registrar CDS Shri Soman Nair arranged a car for me and a Ph.D. Scholar shri T.K.Subramanian for my company as well as
to guide me to important places on the way to Kanyakumari. We started from CDS at 8’o clock in the morning and traveled through:
Prashant Nagar-Puliyanarkotta-Kerala Institute of Medical Science (KIMS) and then Kazhakuttam-Kanyakumari Bypass. We could not take the short cut route entering inside the city as it was the day of Purnamasi (full moon day) 30th January 2010, and this day happened to be an important festival day for God Subramaniya (Kartikay -the brother of God Ganesha). On the way to Balaramapuram, I saw numbers of ladies in white Sari were cooking Payasam (Kheer) in an earthen pot on a traditional CUHULHA - burning firewood. They were preparing it for offering to a local deity. On this Purnamasi people here celebrate as a big festival. Just to avoid this crowd in the city we took By-Pass route. Ultimately we entered NH-47 Highway from Chaka Circle. This Circle is connected to NH-47 National Highway which runs from Salem to Kanyakumari via, Erode, Coimbatore, Thrissur, Kochi, Alappuzha, Kollam, Thiruvananthapuram and Nagercoil).

On the way to Tamil Nadu border we crossed through Nemom, Balaramapuram Neyyattinkara, Amaravila, Parassala, Kaliakkavilai, Marathandam, Kuzhithurai, Azhakiyamandapam, Thuckalay,and Nagercoil. Kaliakkavilai is situated at the border of Kerala and Tamil Nadu. On the way to Kanyakumari, on the right side of the road( western side) is Kerala and you will find the signboard of the some shops are written in Malayalam language and on the left side of the road (eastern side) is Tamil Nadu and the signboard of some shops are written in Tamil language. From this place to Kanyakumari is under the State of Tamil Nadu.
Balarampuram is the place famous for handloom products. In Thuckalay (erstwhile Padmanabhapuram) we visited the Padmanabhapuram Palace (Though it is in Tamil Nadu the palace is maintained by Kerala Government). This palace is full of beautiful wooden carving in unique Kerala Architecture style. Some parts of this place have been built with a fusion of European Architecture. From Padmanabhapuram we went to Kanyakumari. We passed via Nagercoil, Suchindrum Kottaram, and Vivekanandapuram to reach Kanyakumari Kanyakumari is famous for its Devi temple, number of myths is associated with this temple. One of the stories is related to the marriage of Devi Kanyakumari with Shiva which could not be solemnised due to the hindrance created by INDRA. Another myth is that as the marriage could not be performed the Goddess cursed at all the articles that had been prepared for the feast after the marriage, as a result of the curse all these articles turned in to rocks and different colours of sand.
In my journey I was least bothered about food except water and maximum fruit juice. So, without taking food we rushed towards seashore. No body was taking bath in the sea. In Kanyakumari on western side there is Arabian see and on the eastern side Bay of Bengal and in front of the tip endless Hind Mahasagar (Indian Ocean). I cannot resist myself from taking bath whenever I see a river or pond or sea. My comrade told me not to go into the sea. I said ‘do not worry I will study up to which point I should move into it. And I did the same I put my self in between the two narrow rocks and enjoyed powerful ripples of the sea with the amalgamated speedy winds. After taking bath we went to Vivekananda rock by steamer which is another adventure. The ripples of the ocean with its fast friend naughty wind flooded me with water, as I had chosen the corner seat of the boat. Now I had no choice except to move with the wet clothes. One set of clothes were already wet as I took bath in the Bay of Bengal. From Vivekananda rock you can sea the peninsula which is seen in the Map of INDIA. In Kanyakumari I purchased sands of different colours and few traditional handicraft items. After that we visited Kanyakumari Devi temple. Here males have to put off their upper garments and wear white Dhoti (not compulsory) before entering in the temple. You can buy Prasad – LADDU as it is available in Tirupati Balaji Temple in Andhra Pardesh.
Soon the Sun began to set. Everybody was running towards the sunset point to get a glimpse of it. After observing the lovely view we started back to pavilion. On the way I expressed my desire to visit Suchindram temple. Suchindram Temple located about 12 km from Kanyakumari on the way to Nagercoil. The presiding deity is believed to be an incarnation of BRAHMA, VISHNU and MAHESH (Shiva). Marvellous architecture carved out of stones can be seen here. It was about 7’o clock in the evening. I got a chance to see a special procession of Gods being carried within the courtyard of the temple.

On 31st January’10, I got up early in the morning and came out of the campus of CDS to explore the surrounding area. I moved towards tourist village. On the way, so early in the morning, a coffee stall run by a lady, was surrounded by crowd, people were taking coffee and biscuits before starting their daily routine. I also took a cup of lovely coffee from her stall and then walked towards the tourist village. I do not know when it was made a tourist spot but now it is a dirtiest place. A lovely backwater lake but full of JAL-KUMBHI, hardly left any space to see the water in the Lake. Boats are there but locked. There is a lovely guesthouse with beautiful garden and surroundings but it is victim of lack of care by the civic society/state govt.

On return to CDS about 8’o clock in the morning, I took bath ,dressed up and took my breakfast in the canteen with the students. Today I did not want any official obligation and moved for the city tour on my own. I hired a Auto Riksha for Rs.300/-. He drove me around the city, at the first instance he took me to Padmanabha Swamy Temple. It is a huge temple of God Vishnu, the statue of Vishnu is in the style of Sri Rangapattanam (Vishnu reclining in CHIRSAGAR). After worshipping there I took lunch in the form of Prasada. It was a delicious lunch of varieties of food. Here also you have to enter into the temple only with white Dhoti. If you do not have one, the temple management provides it.
From temple we went to Kovalum Beach. I had never seen such a beautiful scene of the sea, a pictorial view of blue colour water touching the light brown sand of the sea coast. I had been to beaches at Mumbai, Kolkata, Gangasagar and Mangalore but the scenic beauty of the beaches at Thiruvanathapuram is unparallel. The foreigners were taking sunbath; I could not resist myself from swimming on seeing the beach. As it was dangerous to swim into the sea I had to satisfy myself by taking a dip into the sea. I hired a steamer and paid full amount and asked my Auto driver to accompany with me as I did not want to go alone in to the sea. About half an hour we had a good voyage in the sea and moved two three beaches and came back. This place is about forty Kilometer from Prasanth Nagar. The Auto driver dropped me back at CDS about 6’o clock in the evening.
On 1st February I inquired from a lady shopkeeper of fancy dresses just across the road out side CDS main gate, about the shop from where I could buy primary book of Malayalam Alphabets with Hindi. I hired a scooter and reached the one of the famous shop of abookseller in Trivandrum. After a long conversation with him I could get the desired book. From there I took directions from a local person regarding the bus route to go to Shankhumugham Beach. It is also a lovely beach but it is different from Kovalam beach. I enjoyed about an hour and saw the sun set. Here I could not take bath as no one was along with me to look after my belongings. Here two Malayalies met me and by chance they discussed about some social aspects and about the view of boats which were visible with their beautiful lights far away in the sea, which had gone for fishing. They became so much impressed with me that they given me their mobile numbers and invited me to visit their places whenever I visited Kerala again. On reaching CDS guest house, I asked to the care taker of the guest house to teach actual pronunciation of the alphabets. I learnt the alphabets within half an hour.

Next day the 2nd February’10, after the interview of the ICSSR Institutional Doctoral Fellowship , an employee of the CDS was sitting in the canteen. I requested him to kindly listen to whatever Malayalam alphabets I had learnt. He came to my room, and he taught me ten minutes His name was Shareef. Around 3’o clock in the afternoon, I came out of CDS campus and discussed with the Lady shopkeeper of fancy dresses to let me know about the few more spots worthwhile to visit. She advised me to go Veli Beach. I hired an Auto rickshaw and reached Veli . Here you have to purchase an entry ticket. It has a lovely backwater lake (it is located on the opposite side of the tourist village) and provides a beautiful view from there. I could not purchase ticket to enjoy by steamer as I reached a little bit late from the schedule time of 5’o clock. So, I could only enjoy the colourful ripples and varieties of fishes in the lake. After that I crossed the bridge and reached the sea shore of Veli. The golden colour of water at the time of sunset and after some time after the sunset the blue colour of the sea appeared so beautiful.
Here also one gentle man was sitting on the chair near to me. He
asked my introduction. He started discussion on religion and some clarification about the structure of the Hindu Society. When he became satisfied with my statements, he gave his introduction on his own. He was a contractor building a wall across the sea beach and a road along with it to make more convenient for the tourist to reach this place.
However according to my perception it was a legitimate encroachment to vanish the original beauty of the sea beach. By 6’o clock in the evening the guards of the beach started whistling to vacate the beach as there is a risk of high tides in the night during the full moon phase and the days to full moon were close by. Now I had to look around for some mode of transport to reach guest house viz. Auto Rickshaw, taxi . I was not aware about the bus routes and name of the places of this city. Above all the KSRTC buses ply with name plates written in Malayalam only. Hence it was impossible for me to read it. Here the Autowalas behave just parallel to Delhi Autowalas. They started bargaining. They were demanding just more than double which I paid in reaching the Veli , Rs.35/- from the Market where I bought the book. During my conversations two young men intervened and asked where I wanted to go. I told them. Then they told me to come along with them in the bus and gave instructions to the conductor to drop me at Palayam and advised me to hire an Auto from there to Prasanth Nagar to reach CDS guest house. On the way they got down as they were going to Shanghumugham beach which is towards Airport. By chance both were research scholars of JNU. This time the Autowala was very cunning and they have very strong union. He charged me some extra amount and also taken a long route. I had an argument but one local gentleman advised me to pay whatever he was asking.
I had to leave Thiruvananthapuram early in the morning on 4th February’10 by Air India. So, I had one more vacant day the 3rd February’10. The Director, CDS had asked to the Registrar to arrange
sight seeing within the City. After taking my break fast, Mr. Soman Nair, the Registrar of CDS shown the water Harvesting Plant in the campus. They store rainwater for entire one year. {I was so impressed with their planning that I put up the note to the ICSSR on my returning to Delhi and requested to consider the project economically as well as to utilise natural rainy water. And more interestingly it has been accepted as a policy matter.} After that he sent a Driver to pick me up and to take me to the zoo and museum. Both were really beautiful and natural as well with well drafted lawns. I did some photography. From there I came on my own to CDS in the after noon. In the evening I received a phone call from Mr.Soman Nair as he wanted to take me to Veli Beach for boating in the Backwater Lake as well to enjoy the Veli Beach which has its own beauty. I was crazy and I did not turn the offer though I had already visited Veli the previous day. I set off as I had missed boating in the backwater lake. Around 4’o clock we started for the beach by car. He started taking about the beach moving towards it and in between I also described about it. Then he asked ‘have you ever come earlier? I started laughing and said ‘ yes, just yesterday but I could not go for boating as I reached there after 5,o clock in the evening. We did boating for half an hour along with other tourist. After that we moved towards the beach. On the way we saw a ball like coconut fruit but the skin of the fruit had vanished on returning from the sea. Mr Soman Nair told me how it was lying on the sand. I picked it up and thought that it would make a decorative piece in the memory of my visit to Veli beach. {on returning to Delhi, one day I made a head of a beautiful tribal woman with the help of fevicol and orange sand and eyes with the KAURIs and black sand collected from Kanyakumari beach. It is kept in my drawing room over a cup giving the shape of the rest of the body, which I purchased from Beijing in 2002.}.I mentioned about the contractor with whom I met yesterday and told about the development to be completed by him in due course of time. On returning from Veli to CDS about 7’o clock, Mr.Soman Nair asked me to be ready within half an hour as he wanted to pick up me for his residence for a cup of tea and after that for dinner out side. I do not remember the name of that beautiful Hotel. Lots of crowd was there but environment was peaceful and calm, lovely arrangement and at very reasonable price. Here I enjoyed almost all the south Indian typical dishes which are generally not available at Delhi. It was a lovely night.
On 4th morning a Taxi from CDS dropped me at Thiruvanathapuram Air port by 5’o clock from where I had to pick up plane for New Delhi.


Vijay Nath Sondhi


No comments:

Post a Comment